Scottsdale Truck Accident Lawyer
Semi Truck Accident Lawyer in Scottsdale, AZ
Today, our commerce rides on the back of a large trucking industry with approximately 15.5 million trucks in operation in the United States. Of those, 2 million represent semi trucks.
These trucks carrying large loads at fast speeds are often driven by individuals who are impaired or drowsy. In 2016, it was found that 90 percent of all accidents involving semis were due to driver error while a Harvard study found that 50 percent of drivers admitted to “drifting off” while on a route, with 25 percent admitting to having fallen asleep at the wheel. Considering the weight and speed of these vehicles, the implications of accidents involving semi-trucks and their consequences are staggering.
If you have been injured in an accident involving a semi or tractor/trailer, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Because these types of accidents are complex, it is critical to have an experienced Scottsdale semi-truck accident lawyer on your side to ensure your success. At The Skiver Law Firm, we have dedicated our careers to protecting the rights of injured parties with a particular emphasis on large rig accidents. Contact us today.
Driver Error and Semi-Truck Accidents
The most common causes of semi-truck accidents today are driver fatigue, driver impairment, and speeding.
- Fatigue — Current data shows that drowsy driving is as dangerous as drunk driving. HOS (hours of service) regulations limit the amount of time a trucker can spend behind the wheel actively driving but pressured scheduling often forces truckers to ignore those and even falsify records.
- Drug and alcohol impairment — Many drivers are found guilty of using alcohol and drugs, reducing their ability to react responsibly while driving. Driving while under the influence is also a violation of the law which is considered negligence per se when pursuing a claim for compensation.
- Speeding — Given the added weight of a large rig, any truck driving at high speeds is less able to stop and more susceptible to losing control, rolling over, jackknifing, and hydroplaning, especially during inclement weather. Shifting cargo and instability can also amplify speeding dangers.
- Distracted Driving – Distracted driving is more common than drunk driving.
- Other Common Reasons – Trucks that are not properly maintained or inspected, hiring unqualified drivers, failing to train those drivers, and failing to supervise them properly.
Why Semi Truck Experience Matters
At The Skiver Law firm, our experienced team of semi-truck accident lawyers takes a professional and skilled approach to support and proving your claim by:
- Documenting all records including your medical records, your medical costs, the insurance policy(ies) involved, and any other documents supporting the injury claim. This enables us to establish how much your claim is worth, what the long-term implications of your injuries are, and help us build a case for fair and adequate compensation for all current and future costs and damages.
- Investigating the accident to understand the scope and cause. In doing this, we employ the use of dashcam footage, driver logs and weigh-ins, information from the truck’s HVEDR (heavy vehicle event data recorder) device, maintenance records, and other information. We sometimes call in a crash forensics expert to help us determine and prove who and what was the cause of the accident.
- Negotiating a settlement with the associated insurance company(ies) to ensure that your compensation is fair and adequate for your recovery
- Litigating your case before a court of law if it is impossible to get a fair settlement from the insurance company(ies)
The Complexities of Semi Truck Claims
There are many potential points of fault in a trucking accident. This is why it is critical for you to have an experienced semi-truck accident attorney representing you who understands those complexities.
Insurance companies representing large trucking companies have much to lose in an accident claim and will go out of their way to try to disprove or downgrade an accident claim or point the finger of blame elsewhere. Having an experienced professional in your corner ensures that your claim is investigated thoroughly by knowledgeable experts.
Get Professional Guidance
If you have been injured in an accident involving a commercial truck or big rig, get the professional advice of an experienced semi-truck accident lawyer to understand your rights and your options under the law. Call The Skiver Law Firm for a free consultation.