When you and your loved ones are sick or injured, you count on the local doctors, nurses, and hospital systems to provide the best care they can. You and your family put your lives in their hands, and it’s fair to expect that these medical professionals respect and value that responsibility. Imagine what happens, however, when healthcare providers fail to live up to the duty of their profession. Whether they are rushed or tired or simply don’t take care, their neglectful behavior can lead to further serious health problems and even death. In these cases, patients become victims of medical malpractice and are left to face the consequences of someone else’s careless actions.
At The Skiver Law Firm, our attorneys are uniquely dedicated to fighting for the rights of medical malpractice victims in Arizona. Steve Skiver is both a physician and a lawyer, and all of our attorneys are committed to protecting their clients and the community from the negative consequences of unfit healthcare providers. If you or someone you love has suffered unnecessary illness or injury and you suspect medical malpractice, call our Scottsdale office at 480-626-1667 today to learn more about your rights and legal options. If you prefer, take a moment to fill out our online contact form, and you’ll receive a prompt response from a member of our team who can help you get started seeking the justice you deserve and preventing others from suffering a similar experience.
What Is Medical Malpractice in Arizona?
As advanced as modern medicine can be, it is not always an exact science. Unfortunately, negative outcomes are often unavoidable, and even the most dedicated healthcare team cannot prevent all complications. It can be difficult to know whether you or your loved one was the victim of medical malpractice or if you are simply among the unlucky patients whose treatments did not go as hoped. In Arizona, medical malpractice is defined as the failure of a healthcare provider to exercise the degree of care and skill that a provider of the same medical specialty would have used under similar circumstances that leads to an injury.
When a medical malpractice claim goes to trial, it must be proven that another provider in the same specialty armed with the same information would have made different decisions about patient care as the provider accused of malpractice. Then, in order to successfully pursue a medical malpractice case, the victim must be able to prove that certain conditions existed that caused him harm. Victims must show that:
- The provider failed to provide adequate treatment, either through action or inaction.
- That failure resulted directly in injury or loss of income.
Types of Medical Malpractice Our Scottsdale Trial Lawyers Handle
There are many different situations which can result in medical malpractice. Sometimes, it is an individual doctor or nurse who makes a mistake and harms a patient, and other times it is a complete system failure caused by poor management. State laws recognize that malpractice can stem from both action and inaction—taking the wrong action or failing to take action when it was necessary. While not a complete list, the following are some of the more common instances of medical malpractice:
- Birth injuries
- Surgical mistakes
- Failure to diagnose
- Misinterpreting or ignoring laboratory results
- Failure to order appropriate testing
- Failure to recognize symptoms
- Incomplete discussion of patient history
Not every bad medical outcome means that medical malpractice has occurred. If you or a loved one was left worse off after a medical procedure and you suspect that a mistake was made, you will need legal advice. Don’t hesitate to reach out to our experienced lawyers through our online contact form or in our Scottsdale office at 480-626-1667. We can examine your unique situation and help you decide how to best move forward.
How Our Arizona Medical Malpractice Trial Attorneys Can Help
When you retain our services, you and your family can feel secure that you will receive the attention and dedication you deserve. The legal team at The Skiver Law Firm offers every client:
- Medical knowledge. With both medical and legal experience, our attorneys are uniquely suited to help victims pursue justice for their medical malpractice claims. Our firm has a deeper understanding of medical issues than most other law firms, and we use that knowledge to help you defend your rights and seek compensation.
- Malpractice experience. We have an intimate understanding of how these cases work, how they may be defended and what it takes to be successful. Our legal team can anticipate what the defense may seek to do and ensure that we are prepared to fully protect you and your family.
- Commitment to victims’ rights. We aren’t interested in taking just any case. The Skiver Law Firm represents those who have truly suffered an injustice and want to hold the responsible parties accountable. Our dedication to the protection of each individual client and the community at large makes us truly effective personal advocates.
CONTACT OUR MEDICAL MALPRACTICE ATTORNEYS TODAY
While determining whether medical malpractice occurred can be difficult, if you and your family feel that something simply isn’t right about your medical treatment, it is important to investigate what might have gone wrong. Most providers offer their best, most conscientious care, but those among them who act in a careless manner should not be left unchecked. When it comes to medical protocols, there is a right way to do things and there is a wrong way. A lawsuit may not be able to undo the damage you have suffered, but it can prevent others from experiencing that same pain.
At The Skiver Law Firm, we want to help you protect your rights and fight for the justice and compensation you and your family deserve. Call our Scottsdale office today at 480-626-1667 or take a moment to fill out our online contact form to learn more about who we are and how we may be able to help.